Land Area

Land Area

Geographical Location

 Basilan is one of the island provinces of the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM), separated from the mainland of Mindanao by a strait of about 17 miles at its narrowest point. It is located across the southern tip of Zamboanga Peninsula and is bounded on the North by Basilan Strait, on the East by Moro Gulf, on the Southeast by Celebes Sea and on the West by Sulu Sea. Geographically, it lies between latitudes 6 deg. 24 min. 40 sec. and 6 deg. 45 min. 4 sec. North and longitudes between 121 deg. 47 min. 00 sec. and 122 deg. 19 min. 20 sec. East. 

Physical Characteristic

 The province is composed of twin component cities and nine municipalities with a total of 255 barangays. It has an aggregate land area of 1,379 square kilometers or 137,900 hectares and a home to 332,828 inhabitants of unique and diverse cultures. The Yakans, who are considered natives of the island, are said to be of foreign origin.

Major crops are coconut, rubber, coffee, cassava, banana, corn which account for the great bulk of the income. Its secondary crops include rice, black pepper, root crops, cacao and other seasonal fruits.

 Soil Type

 The soil types of Basilan province are mostly of Bulaon clay with few Bancal clay loam. In the central parts of its mountain, soils are undifferentiated.

Agro-Climatic Zone

Agro climatic zones are contiguous areas significantly similar in the major land forms and climatic characteristics. The variables are rainfall, temperature, elevation, land forms and vegetation. There are two agro-climatic zones identified in the province of Basilan, these are the wet and moist zones. The wet zones are characterized by an annual rainfall of 2,500 mm and growing period of 270-330 days occurring generally in the hilly to highland areas.

The moist zone is characterized by an annual rainfall ranging from 1,500-2,500 mm and a growing period of 210-270 days. This zone covers most of the present agricultural and expansion areas in lowland, upland and hilly areas.

The province is predominantly within the moist agro-climatic zone which shows a moderate moisture deficit during the dry season. As such, it is capable to sustain a year round maximum production taking into consideration moisture availability. Areas with growing season of 210 days or more are suitable for a sequence of cropping system.

Topography, Slope and Elevation

 The terrain of the province ranged from undulating to rolling from the coast to rolling and moderately steep towards the interior parts of the province. A portion of the area or a combined 54,574 hectares has a level to nearly level or with a slope of 0-8 percent. Around 30 percent of its land area had 18 percent slopes or undulating to rolling as shown below, Table 1 - Slope Distribution, in hectares.

Table 1 - Slope Distribution, in hectares

 

Low Land

High Land

Upland

Total

Location

0-3%

3-8%

8-18%

18-30%

30-50%

50% up

Area

Basilan

36,364

18,210

48,476

17,017

11,504

5,329

137,900

       Source: DENR, Basilan, 2005

           

Land Suitability and Land Use

Land use refers to a portion of land that is being utilized. It is broadly categorized as production land use and protection land use. In the province of Basilan, production land use constitute roughly 73 percent or a total of 100,842 hectares which were classified and released as alienable and disposable (A&D). The remaining 37,008 hectares or around 27 percent are either timberland or forestland.

The City of Isabela has the largest timberland or forestland totaling tob9,375.5 hectares while the municipality of Tuburan has the smallest with 2,756.5 hectares. It may be noted that Kumalarang River which is the main source of power and irrigation water is located in Isabela City, Table 2.

 Table 2. Land Classification, by City/Municipality, 2005

Location

Total Area (ha)

Alienable & Disposable

Timberland/Forestland

Percent to Total Area

 

 

 

 

A&D

Timberland/

Forestland

Isabela

23,373.0

13,997.5

9,375.5

60

40

Lamitan

26,445.0

22,559.0

3,886.0

85

15

Lantawan

19,312.0

15,591.0

3,721.0

81

19

Maluso

10,414.0

4,659.0

5,755.0

45

55

Sumisip

27,537.0

19,139.5

8,345.5

70

30

Tipo-Tipo

18,997.0

15,828.5

3,168.5

83

17

Tuburan

11,824.0

9,067.5

2,756.5

77

53

Total

137,900.0

100,842.0

37,008.0

73%

2

Source: DENR, Basilan 2005
Note: For the new municipalities no segregation yet of areas.